Service and Support Options
The majority of older people wish to:
- Maintain their independence
- Remain living in their own home
- Maintain social contacts
- Lead a dignified and meaningful lifestyle and
- Continue their role as a valued member of their community
Depending on you or your relatives needs you may be able to get services to remain living in your own home and community.
For some older people and their families such altermatives may provide the required support that will prevent or delay the need for nursing home care.
It is important to learn about the services and financial supports available to you or you’re relative in considering this option.
For information go to:Citizens Information: Check list Entitlements for Older People http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/
Before considering placement in a nursing home, explore the possiblity of using alternative services or programmes that permit an older person receive the care in his or her own home in the community setting.
For more information go to:
The HSE provides a broad range of services for older people in nursing homes, the community, including in-patient acute services, step down and convalescent care, day services, rehabilitation, community services, home care and home helps. If you need services for yourself or for an older person you know, choose from the options below, to find out more about the services the HSE provide, and how you can access them. http://www.hse.ie/portal/eng/services/list/4/olderpeople/
If you have any questions, you can also call the HSE information line on 1850 24 1850. The information line is open from Monday - Saturday, 8am - 8pm, for the price of a local call.
- Home Care Packages - Information on the services provided by the HSE to help an older person to be cared for in their own home
- Nursing Homes Support Scheme - Information on the new Nursing Homes Support Scheme - Fair Deal.
- Older People Services where you live - A list of older people services provided in your local health office, that you can access through your GP or Public Health Nurse.
- Benefits and Financial Entitlements - Home care packages, medical cards, respite care grants and more.
- Community Services - A description of the services the HSE provides for people who live in their own homes but still need a little help
- Tips for Healthy Living - How people can maintain their health as they get older by keeping active, eating well, and more
- Residential Care - Information about respite care and public and private nursing and residential care services all over Ireland.
- Carers and Relatives - Helpful information for those who are caring for a family member or loved one.
- Protecting Older People- How to spot elder abuse
and what to do if you are worried.
- Patients' Private Property Accounts- Find out how
the HSE administers residential clients' money.
Useful Contacts - Other organisations and services that are there to help older people.